Home > Past & Present > Decades

Mark Shale Through the Years

Since 1929, when we opened our doors as the Al Baskin Store, the fashion industry has seen a lot of changes…and so have we. The store was initially named for our founder and later changed to Mark Shale, after Al’s 2 children. The Baskin family still owns Mark Shale today. Check out some of our favorite memorabilia. 

The 1950's

In the 1950’s, we moved into a larger retail space that included a convenient adjacent parking lot, an innovation that was completely unheard of at this time. With this new space, we added a women’s department in 1958 and also introduced a boy’s department.

(Click on images below)